TOPIC: THE COST OF DOING GOOD
TEXT: GALATIANS 6:10
“Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”
There is not a more compelling message of the love of Jesus to this world than to do good.
An act of goodness commands the attention of a wicked world, announcing the arrival of a heavenly order.
“Having your conversation honest among the gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they man by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.” (1 Peter 2:12)
- To do good is to act in the interest of another despising the personal cost. This is what Jesus spoke about in John 15:13
“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends”.
Going beyond our personal comfort, laying down our own life to offer help, solace, support to another. This is good that command peerless attention.
- To do good in this manner however requires supernatural empowerment as no man has the capacity to consistently and sacrificially do good, no matter how naturally endowed with benevolence he is.
“Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.” John 10:17-18
- Jesus had “power” to sacrifice himself, He didn’t just do it. He had “power” to do it. He said somewhere
“Why do you call me good? No one is good except God” (Mark 10:18).
That is, no one has the inherent ability to be good except he is empowered by God Himself.
- It is meet that we ask God intentionally for empowerment, grace for good works.
“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” (Eph. 2:10)
- You are regenerated, designed and fabricated for good works by God. Eph. 2:10
- The ability and enablement for good works can only be found when the created is in Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:17
“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
- Good works are the mind of God for His creation because we are created unto good works. In the beginning all the things that He created was good. Gen. 1:31
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- You need divine empowerment of the Holy Spirit. Acts 1:8
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
Our good works is a witness of the goodness of God.
The good news is to produce people with good work. “By their fruit we would know them” is a biblical maxim. So let us go beyond saying and begin to do.